Pages

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Super-Moist Vegan Banana Bread

I've had a super-busy and productive few days!  I originally started this blog to try to document my attempts to help "veganize" our college's dining options.  The most consistent options thus far have been found over at the salad bar.  In happy news, I have a meeting next week with dining services at BW to test out some of my recipes and further the push for more healthy and vegan options!  Stay tuned for more.

In other exciting news: bananas!  They're a staple food of mine; walk into my dorm room and you will undoubtedly see a bunch perched atop my mini fridge.  Bananas are perfect: packed with potassium, mood stabilizing, and great for your digestion.  I was so busy that I neglected this week's bunch, and before I knew it my bananas had gone brown.  So what better to do than bake banana bread?  John is blessed this semester with a fully functional kitchen, so I high-tailed it over there to make some banana magic.  Pretty quickly, the room was filled with the homey smell of baking bread.  Aside from having a comforting scent, this quick-bread is, dare I say...moist.  I hate that word too, so let's just agree not to repeat it aloud, capiche?

Super-Moist Vegan Banana Bread

makes 1 loaf

2 c whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 6 tbsp water
1/4 cup vegan margarine, softened
1/3 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup agave nectar
3-4 medium, very ripe bananas

Lightly grease a loaf pan with vegan margarine.  Preheat the oven to 350.  In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients.

In a small bowl (or cup), whisk together the flaxseed and water.  The flaxseed will soak up the water and become gelatinous--don't be scared!  Flaxseeds take on the role of eggs as a binding agent, and they pack a nutritional punch with a healthy dose of Omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and fiber!

While the seeds soak, mash the bananas in a small bowl with a fork until pretty smooth.  Cream together the coconut sugar, agave, and vegan margarine.

Now, add everything to the dry ingredients and mix for about a minute.  The batter will be a little lumpy, but it should be evenly mixed (no clumpy dry bits!).  Pour the batter into your loaf pan, scraping the bowl for all that banana-goodness.  And because there are no eggs, no salmonella!  So have at that bowl with your fingers, a spoon, whatever.

Bake your banana bread for 45-50 minutes, or till golden brown.  Let the bread cool, then gently shake it out of the pan, wrap it, and store overnight before slicing.  But heck, if you aren't afraid of some crumbs, eat it straight out of the oven!  I won't stop you.


Love,
Candice


No comments:

Post a Comment