Pages

Sunday, October 27, 2013

The Perfect Tofu Scramble

It's safe to say that tofu is the king of the vegan food pyramid--and rightly so!  I've loved tofu ever since I first became a vegetarian at 13.  When I made the transition from vegetarianism to veganism at age 16, I was worried I would miss eggs, especially scrambled eggs at breakfast time.  I obsessed over perfecting my tofu scramble to satisfy my craving.  Now, four years down the road, I think I may have finally done it--simplicity of spices is the key here, so if you're going to get fancy, make sure you have a good flavor going first!  This recipe is great for breakfast, but it's also versatile enough to serve at lunch or dinner time.

The Perfect Tofu Scramble

1 block organic tofu (extra firm-non GMO!)
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup nutritional yeast (a.k.a. "nooch")
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp pepper (use white pepper if you have it)
1/4 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp allspice (trust me.)
a pinch of salt (use black salt if you can get your hands on it--its mildly sulfurous odor compliments the "eggy" flavor)
(optional: herbs like thyme or rosemary, sautéed mushrooms, fresh spinach, diced tomatoes, etc.)

First thing's first--drain your tofu!  If you're a tofu novice, here are the steps:  cut open the package and tip the water into the sink.  Place your block between two plates with something heavy (like a phone book, if those still exist) on top.  Leave your tofu to press for 15-20 minutes and tip the water into the sink.  Bam!  You're ready to make some scramble!

Heat the olive oil in a skillet on medium.  Crumble your tofu with your fingers and drop it into the pan.  Add half of the nutritional yeast and all of your spices (except salt)--sauté for 5-10 minutes, until it's starting to get golden.  It should develop a little bit of a spice coating--if you'd prefer it to be a little more "saucy", you can turn down the heat and add a couple tablespoons of water.  Add the rest of the nutritional yeast and the salt.  Cook for another two minutes or so.  Add your "optionals" if you're using, and serve hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment